Monday, April 2, 2018

B is for BANANAS



B – BANANA




We had purchased our piece of paradise. And very soon realized that the only part of our dream home list that it filled was it was located in North Kohala and we could see the ocean. I had always dreamed of big old Fruit Trees and Shade Trees and a yard filled with flowers. But we were happy with our FUTURE HOME. We had purchased a home built in 1999 that had NO landscape at all but grass. As one friend put it a BLANK Canvas waiting to be filled. Since I desperately wanted fruit trees we focused on those first. Bananas are the fastest growing fruiting producing plants, so we put in a large patch.

 We soon had a row of my favorite Apple Bananas planted, a small firm fleshed fruit that I found can be used for everything from eating fresh to frozon chocolate covered and baked.  Spending time at a Farmers Market  exploring the bounty of Hawaiian fruit has always been one of my favorite activities. Apple Bananas were always our first purchase and they hold up well so we always bought  a supply as soon as getting to the Island now I was on my way to home grown. 

After planting our first few Apple Bananas we quickly branched out and now have over 10 varieties of Bananas some are cooking Plantains like the Cuban Reds, and some of the dessert eating type. 
Some  of our many varieties of Bananas
I have found that we do not like all the varieties but at our place nothing goes to waste. If we do not eat it, cook it, or bake with it. I can usually share with friends and neighbors. What ever is left over the dogs and goats enjoy. Even the leaves and plants become goat food and mulch. A truly zero waste plant.  



Today our Banana Patch is large and very productive

12 comments:

  1. How wonderful it would be to plant bananas. I love bananas. But I had no idea that there were various kinds of bananas. Do you happen to know why we don't have access to apple bananas, for example, elsewhere in North America?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it is easier to just grow one large banana and allow the public think thats all there is. Growing your own can be like any garden some times it is to much of a good thing. We harvested two big stalks yesterday. So bananas for everybody.
      Thanks for stopping by to read my blog.
      Nancy

      Delete
  2. I was amazed, when I was in the planning stages of moving to Ecuador, to discover there are actually hundreds of varieties of bananas. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exploring all the new fruits and vegetables has been one of the benifits of moving to a tropical climate. Year round WEEDS not so much.

      Delete
  3. I love several of the varieties of bananas and dislike several. Like Joss, I had no idea there were so many varieties until Ecuador entered my life. How wonderful that you grow so many!

    Emily In Ecuador | Boats in Puerto Lopez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. Even some of the 10 that we decided to grow have ended up being mostly grown as a wind break and fir the goats. I defiantly have favorites!

      Delete
  4. So bananas aside, how do with missing old friends or family?? It’s got to be expensive to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the surprise. I guess because of work we were not very social and the kids they are busy with there lives so it really does not feel very differen. With facebook and skype we see them almost as much. Only holidays are rough.

      Delete
  5. I didn't realize that their were that many varieties of bananananananas. Never heard of apple bananas. In Florida, the bananas grown are small and not good. The banana trees do provide a home of hoards of cockroaches, however. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I first learned to grow bananas in Plantation Florida I had about 5 or 6 kinds way back then and enjoyed the varieties that we had. We ringed our yard with them as a fast growing privacy fence.

      Delete
  6. Okay, so is P going to be Pineapple? LOL! Loved this post...good photos, too!

    Donna B. McNicol|Author and Traveler
    A to Z Flash Fiction Stories|A to Z of Goldendoodles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you've gone bananas in your little spot of the world! I love bananas and feel they get a bad rap for the caloric intake....I prefer my banana to have a hint of green skin, so not fully ripe! Thanks for sharing...

    Heidi at, A Little of This & That

    ReplyDelete