Friday, April 6, 2018

F is for FARMERS MARKETS


F - Farmers Market


Most Saturday morning you will find us up early and heading up the Mountain Road towards Waimea for Market. We have a very nice little market in Hawi, the town closest to where we live BUT we like the food better in Waimea. Food at a Farmers Market in Hawaii is a big deal. Not only are you shopping for your fresh fruit , vegetables, Flowers, plants , trees, fresh bread and more things than I can even remember but it is the best meal deal around.

At our favorite breakfast spot my husband gets Eggs Benedict for $6.00.
 My Son usually gets a Kalua Pork Omelet for $6.00

 I get a plate of Bi Bim Bap for $6.00

a Korean dish of a scoop of rice surrounded by many little sides of pickled veggies and a fried egg over the top. This all comes with homemade Kimchee and what ever baked good Mama made that day. 

There are Farmers Markets all over the Islands and each one is a little different. Some in warmer climates seem to have more tropical fruits while the ones located at higher altitudes have nicer vegetables. Part of the fun is trying to go to different ones depending on where you find yourself on market day.
Hilo Market not only has lots of Fruit and Veggies but beautiful Flowers 



Three different kinds of Mango as well as Rambutans and Soursops 

Eggplant

Navel Oranges

Oranges

Satsuma Tangerines

Avocados come in All shapes and sizes


There is always a Coconut Man at every Market
Cacao

the seeds have a delicious membrane around them that is fun to eat.


Rambutan

 My list of favorite foods to find at market could go on and on but then I would have nothing else to write about when I need them for other letters.



13 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy,
    I hadn't clued in before. I know your area! I've only been to Hawaii once but I spent a very enjoyable day buying art and jewelry in Hawi and I've been to Waimea. How great to be able to picture your environment.
    Rambutan looks very pretty. What do you do with it? Feel free not to tell me if you're reserving it for R. :)
    F is for (The) Faraway Nearby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realize now that I should have explained Rambutan you peel the exterior skin and inside is a sweet juicey flesh around a single seed. Very much like a Lychee. Glad you now know where I am. Hope you come back to my little corner someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such abundance! I love visiting farmer's market, anywhere in the world. All those colors, all that life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree it is one of the things we try to do where ever we travel. It really gives you a true feel for the local community.

      Delete
  4. Reminds me of Ecuador...I am thinking I would love living in Hawaii, if I could just afford it. LOL!

    Donna B. McNicol|Author and Traveler
    A to Z Flash Fiction Stories|A to Z of Goldendoodles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It have been saying the very same thing as I read your blog. I really think I could live there IF I spoke the language . As far as affording it goes we were lucky with when we bought our home and we live a simple life style. Cooking at home and since there is no night life to speak of we are not tempted excpt when we travel.

      Delete
  5. I love market day. Especially in France. The one in Nice is super good. At the olive stand, I must have tried twenty different ones before picking a couple to take home. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is the best way to meet and get to know the locals.

      Delete
  6. It is amazing how similar our produce is. We do not have Navel Oranges, though, only juicing ones. Thanks for the photo tour - how fun.

    Emily In Ecuador

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oranges are difficult in a truly tropical climate. We have a little bit of everthing.

      Delete
  7. Our market in the UK will never match thee products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BUT they also have things I would never see here! I would truly love a GOOD scone and clotted cream. But at least a nice assortment of tea is available by mail or even local grown. If you like white or green.

      Delete
  8. I found your blog at the end and am reading through. We had a great cruise around Hawaii in the Pride of America in 2010 and stopped off in Hilo, visiting the Volcanoes National Park with two fellow passengers in a hire car. We also found the Captain Cook memorial with great difficulty via old kayaks in Kealakekua Bay. I could go on but instead will say I love your fruit pictures and love tropical fruit.

    ReplyDelete