Monday, April 9, 2018

H is for HULA

H - HULA HALAU

Hula Halau O Mana'olana O Kohala
Being part of a Hula Halai is almost the same as being adopted into a family

A VERY STRICT LOVING FAMILY.  


There are long hours of practice . Sore muscle especially for ladies with Gray hair that have never danced before. And much to learn. I had no idea when I started to learn Hula that all parts of the costume are made by the person wearing it. Yes your Hula Sisters can "help " you but you must make it. Your Mana, your spirt, had to inhabit your costume, your lei, your instruments...yes you wanted some of everyone else's Mana to reside within and help carry you to do your best, but you had to strive always to do your best. 

There are two times of Hula. Hula Kahiko is the more ancient form of dance and is done to the accompaniment of a Chant with Drums or Large gourd fashioned into an Ipo Heke. Modern Hula is Hula Awana and is done in more modern dress and to more modern songs often with Ukulele and Guitar. 
Practice time

Practice at the Beach to prepare for performance and to learn to dance in deep sand

Our Kumu (teacher)



Making our wrist and Ankle Lei
 

Hula Kahiko


Our Hula Awana

My daughter and I after our performance

I am forcing myself to stop here for I fear I can go on for ever on this subject. 
Looks like letter T will have to Finish my story.
To see real HAWAIIAN HULA at its best visit
https://www.facebook.com/Merrie-Monarch-Festival-185599409199/







8 comments:

  1. Wow. Moving your life to Hawaii was one thing, but learning to dance Hula - now that is impressive! I'd be way too terrified to even try. Good for you, Nancy!

    H is for Hundreds and Thousands

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaaay for you!! I took ancient hula lessons a long time ago and loved it. Once my knees work again I want to take up modern hula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My asthma gets in my way often and now my beginner kupuna (OLDER adult) group has dissolved so I am taking a break till I find a new class.

      Delete
  3. I am so impressed! Congratulations on accomplishing something not many even attempt! I had no idea that each dancer makes their own outfit.

    Emily In Ecuador | Hammock Time on Puerto Lopez Beach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me the craft andd making the costume was the part I was most comfortable with. Dancing in public still is not an easy thing for me.

      Delete
  4. What a great experience. It must be good for your flexibility and health.

    ReplyDelete