Tuesday, April 10, 2018

I is for ICE

I - ICE  

SHAVE ICE

There are a few thing I have trouble passing up in Hawai'i and call it Ice Shave as they do in Hilo or Shave Ice as they do on my side of the Island once you find a place that REALLY knows how to make this amazing treat it becomes a true addiction.
 
Our favorite Shave Ice vendor operates out of a Trailer and is only in our neighborhood (30 miles away) so on Wednesday or Thursday it is AMAZING how often I need a trip to town. AND since we drive right by Waikoloa and the BIG ISLAND SHAVE ICE is parked right there in the King Shops parking lot what a great idea to stop on our way and take a break, 

 

My husband and I almost always get ours with Coconut Ice Cream in the middle and I get mine with Li Hing Mui Powder on top... I know alread ... What is Li Hing Powder?  Li hing mui is salty dried plum.  It has a strong, distinctive flavor, and is often said to be an acquired taste, as it has a combination of sweet, sour, and salty taste. It has also been described as tart, and even tangy. I LOVE it no one else in my family can stand it.

Mango syrup with Coconut Ice Cream in the middle 

Mango, Guava, Lilikoi, with Li Hing Mui Powder on top

Pineapple Supreme


Mango with Li Hing Mui on Top

Ok I went a little crazy on this one
Mango, Guava, Lilikoi Syrup with Coconut Ice Cream inside
and Cream of Coconut on top and Li Hing Mui 

My usual
Mango, Guava, Lilikoi
Coconut Ice Cream and Li Hing Mui Powder
On days when I decide that my SHAVE ICE is going to be my Lunch I go wild and treat myself to a HALO HALO  (a Filipino creation that has a little bit of everything in it!)

HALO HALO 

GOOD BYE UNTIL NEXT WEEK



6 comments:

  1. How do you know when someone really knows how to make this treat, Nancy? What do they do differently from everyone else? Shaved Ice looks good, but it's just ice and stuff. I don't get how it's possible for some people to be better at it than others.

    I is for It's Never Too Late to Begin Again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people grind the Ice and some do not keep their blades sharp enough or close enough to the block of Ice. It also matters where the flavorings come from if they are real fruit syrup or just artificial flavoring sugar and water. As in all things Quality always shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that Halo Halo looks amazing! I would like to try the Pineapple Supreme, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope to come across these when we go to Oahu in June.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH I'd love to try one of those. Awesome... https://everyonehasafamilystorytotell.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete