Saturday, April 14, 2018

M is for MALASADA

M-MALASADA
Warm sugary bites of heaven!

Every culture has some form of fried sweet dough.
The Hawaiians have adopted the Portuguese doughnut without a hole, or Malasada.
I was told the the word Malasada means “ Poorly Made” in Portuguese 
but there is NOTHING poorly made about a good Malasada.




  The BEST ones are made of a soft yeast dough fried while you wait.
Malasadas in Portugal are not filled

 but in Hawaii they are sold plain or with  
flavored filling and served still warm.

Malasadas are made fresh all day long at TEX
 so that they can always be sold warm.

Plain and Simple but still Delicious!



Rolled in LOTS of Sugar

Vanilla and Chocolate Bavarian Cream

   

Guava and Mango Filled



 My all time favorite was filled with Lilikoi Hot Pepper Jelly 
the combination of HOT and SWEET was ONO (DELICIOUS) . 

The warm Malasada is then rolled in the sugar of your choice Plain, Cinnamon, or Li Hing Mui. 

Plain Malasadas made at the local Catholic Church for
Malasada Day (Shrove Tuesday)
You can order with no filling and if you are taking home 
and not eating them warm that is the way to go. 

 WE ONLY order ONE each because
we would eat them all on the way home!






7 comments:

  1. They look SOOO yummy!! And I always reference them in my Paradise Lei Crime novellas.

    Donna B. McNicol|Author and Traveler
    A to Z Flash Fiction Stories | A to Z of Goldendoodles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My car seems to have auto pitot anytime i am near TEX. Nothing I can do to keep it from turning in.

      Delete
  2. I'm not allowed anything like these delicious things anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very restricted to a few times a year.

      Delete
  3. Oh those look so yummy! I'd love to try one right now.

    Emily in Ecuador | Nets, Fishing Nets made in Puerto Lopez, Ecuador

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding new things but nothing is better than something that is fresh and served still warm!

      Delete
  4. Aloha Nancy! Oh my god... I didn't realize TEX did them. Bother said Pooh! LOL. But not really. What a gorgeous blog and collection of malasadas. Love it. :) Now of course I want one, or two... three... Yes, three's my limit. LOL. Liliko'i hot pepper jelly sounds soooo good. Thanks Nancy!! Now I'll spend all day thinking about them. LOL. Love the wee empty box at the end. Mahalo and aloha Meg :)

    ReplyDelete