Saturday, April 28, 2018

Y is for YEAST

Y-YEAST

A Loaf of Bread Costs How Much???

When we came to Hawaii on Vacation I never really noticed the cost of Groceries 
after all we were on VACATION I really did not think about it. 
And the Grocery story was cheaper than buying anything at the resorts. 
But soon after moving to Hawaii as a full time resident it hit me how in the world could a loaf of bread cost over $6.00.  I mean Bread on a super saver special is $4.59!
So since I was retired and had lots of time I decided I would save money and
BAKE MY OWN BREAD

As any one but me know making it your self might make it better but it does not always make it cheaper.  First you have to purchase all of the necessary ingredients. From YEAST to Flours, and special baking pans. For me it became another hobby (addiction) Yeast breads were fun but what about the WILD YEAST or SOURDOUGH so now I had a living thing on my counter that required care and feeding every 12 hours.

 But it Thrived and I kept baking making Sourdough Bread, and Pumpernickel Breads and even doing some sweet breads playing with Cinnamon Rolls. 








I thought I had inherited my Grandmother's golden touch. 
She baked bread every morning her kitchen full of wonderful YEASTY fresh baked bread smells.
So far all of my loaves were wonderful and tasty I was pretty cocky. 
I should have know it was coming .
I made a loaf of Rye bread it smelled great in the oven 
BUT when I opened the oven it it was as flat as a pancake.
My loving husband suggested using it as a door stop. 
BUT in our family we waste nothing and I knew someone would LOVE IT!



I will continue to play with my Yeast both commercial Yeast and Wild Yeast in Sourdough.
 But mostly because we enjoy the fresh baked bread I do not think 
I will be saving much money with my baked goods.






4 comments:

  1. Well, you certainly proved that goats will eat anything -- including your flat rye bread. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. And want more! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like smelling bread cooking. I cheat and use my bread maker. I also did the A to Z... and wrote on All About Nancy Drew. https://everyonehasafamilystorytotell.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no such thing as cheating in Bread Baking it all smells and tastes wonderful.I am sure if I had a bread machine I would happily use it!
      Thank you for stopping by.
      ALOHA
      NANCY
      http://ourrightplace.blogspot.com

      Delete