Friday, April 27, 2018

X is for eXpectations

X - eXpectations

Every time you think you KNOW what you are doing 
your dog will be sure to show you how wrong you are!

I have been training and working with dogs since I was 10 years old and my father allowed me to start helping him train out German Short Haired Pointers. He hunted them and did field trials with them.  I did the Obedience training and socialization of puppies. AND when he was not looking trained them to be my circus Dogs and do tricks.


After leaving home I continued working with dogs and over the years have owned and trained quite a few but unlike my father I chose working breeds instead of a Hunting Breed. I had high eXpectations of their abilities and behavior and they never let me down. Training these dogs was not work it was FUN! Over the years I have owned and LOVED Poodles, Dobermans, and Rotties. These are all dogs with strong work drive and focus on owner and a real desire to please!

When we lost our last Rottie my husband requested a small breed for a change. He had always wanted a Border Terrier. I have never been a small dog person and especially NOT a terrier person. BUT he had put up with all of my dogs for all these years I thought he should get to have a say in this one. Even though I knew who would be doing the training and he would get to do the fun stuff only.
After several months of hunting we found our girl. And on New Years Eve Heddy Joined the family. 



WOW did she surprised me.  I have never had such fun training. She flew through the beginners stuff and looked for more! Always exceeding my eXpectations. I was quickly put to shame when at 6 months old she was winning Obedience trials at the beginner level and was moving upward.





 By the time she was a year old she was as far as we were going to go in Obedience and Rally and we started looking around for more games to challenge her active mind. 
 She loves everything I throw at her. No challenge seems to tough.
 She has done some tracking and scent detection (Nose Work),
Tracking and scent detection in the snow is a fun challenge for Heddy NOT for ME!

as well as fun activities such as Dock Diving,


 and Earth Dog (hunting Rats) she was BORN to hunt rats! 
She might start the Hunt nice and clean 
But after working and finally going to ground


She almost always comes out a MUDDY Happy Mess


I have not regretted getting this Little Brown Dog for one moment she has far exceeded eXpectations and continues to delight us daily.
Even Heddy has eXpectations of retirement in HAWAII



2 comments:

  1. What a delightful story and puppy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou she has been and continues to be a total source of joy.

      Delete